Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Take that Sucka!

Guess who has MORE good news for all of you out there?  ME!  This girl over here who was diagnosed with breast cancer in the beginning of 2012 has MORE good news.  How can that be?  Well it CAN be.  I saw my oncologist, Dr. Michaelson today to go over the pathology report and decide a plan of action.

Well, the plan of action is...  NOTHING!  That's right!  I don't have to do a single thing besides get better from this double mastectomy / reconstruction.  The words coming out of Dr. Michaelson's mouth were like music to my ears.  We went over the timeline of my diagnosis and what transpired.  He then examined me and was really impressed with how everything is progressing.  Once back in his office he shared his thoughts with me.

He explained that Tamoxifen, chemotherapy, or radiation would probably do me more harm than good at this stage of the game.  The 1mm of cancer has been taken out, there is no lymph node involvement, and all is going well.  The side effects of all these other cancer drugs / procedures would probably affect me more than any benefit that it could possibly do.  He said why put my body through something like that?  It's already been through enough.  And I agree!

It was great to see Dr. Michaelson again (under the circumstances of course).  I have always thought of him fondly, just as my mom did.  My mom simply adored him, and I think he is such a wonderful man.  He fought so hard for my mom and I know he will always fight hard for me.  I was ready to follow what ever treatment he recommended, but I would be lying if I didn't confess that I was hoping for this recommendation.

After my appointment with Dr. Michaelson I headed over to physical therapy.  It was good to see Rita again after having the last week off.  She was SO impressed with my improvement and that almost all of my range of motion has returned to my arms.  She was actually so impressed with my progress that she discharged me from physical therapy.  I just need to continue to do the stretches she taught me and all will be well.  I can reach out to her any time I want, so that makes me happy.

As you can see my day has been pretty productive.  My emotions have been running high all day and I am so happy that I can just focus on getting better from the surgery.  I feel like a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders.  I can't believe that at the beginning of 2012 I had breast cancer.  It's already April and I am cancer free.  I could not be any happier.

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment