Monday, April 16, 2012

Never ran away for the sake of scars...

A woman whose blog I follow posted this postcard secret from PostSecret and I found it to be very eye opening...


I've been thinking a lot, and talking a lot, about the scars on my breasts and how they will always be a reminder of the short time that I had breast cancer.  Will they always haunt me?  Will they always remind me that I'm not indestructible?

I know these expanders are not my permanent breasts and that the implants will be much more comfortable and natural, but at the end of the day, they are still not mine.  There is a foreign object in me, posing as breasts, and I'll never have mine back.  It bums me out to think about sometimes because I was always a fan of my girls, but at the same time, I always knew that if something were to happen I'd have to get rid of them.  And that's what I did.

I don't mind scars.  Never have.  I have tattoos, so I think scars are neat.  They remind you of a certain period in your life; but is this something I really want to remember every day for the rest of my life?  The scars are the first thing I see in the mirror every morning, they will be there, always.  I am just going to assume that one day down the road they will become like my sun tattoo that I have on my tummy. I barely notice it nowadays... I got it 11 years ago... it's a part of me.  Just like these scars are a part of me.  They will "fade" over time, and I will hopefully be able to look at them not as scars where my breasts once were, but as the day when I took charge of my own life and did not let cancer dictate the outcome.

- J.

1 comment:

  1. You are TOOOOOO young.... I am sorry to see this...... We are also Long Island neighbors. We are BC Sisters...... I just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm literally a shout away.

    AnneMarie

    ReplyDelete