Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Why won't you let me be Great?!

Today was my first expansion and let me tell you all... I thought I was going to give myself an anxiety attack.  I was SO nervous.  Though, like I've said before, there is nothing that could be worse than those drains coming out... but I was beginning to question that maybe the expansion COULD be that "worse" thing.

Well, thank God I was wrong!  The expansion (so far) was a breeze!  I am feeling great now.  I've been taking only Advil all day and that's been enough.  Dr. Spiro is still very happy with how I am progressing.  The expansion process was interesting.  First, I was able to get all my bandages off.  All of my scars have been revealed.  I have not really looked at them... not ready for that quite yet.  Dr. Spiro said there will be some scabbing, a little rawness, but that everything is healing just the way it should.  He then used magnets to find the valve to my expanders.  A needle was placed in my skin to get to the valve.  A tube was connected to that needle and then Dr. Spiro and the nurse used comically large needles to fill me up with 40 CC's.  It wasn't bad at all.  It was over in no time!

And I am SO thrilled because he said I'd only have to fill up one more time!  That's it!  And he is giving me two weeks to rest before the second and final expansion.  I can shower normally.  I can even take off this tight, itchy bra in a week.  THANK GOD!  It's the worst.  I just need to find another good, supportive bra to use.  The bra's that were recommended were a bit expensive, so if anyone out there who has had a double mastectomy or knows a friend, please ask for any bra advice (the cheaper the better!).

I told Dr. Spiro that I began physical therapy and he seemed OK with that.  He said I just need to be slow and meticulous.  I asked him if it was OK to do normal, every day activities.  He asked what I meant by that.  I just hinted at some washing dishes, cooking, that kinda stuff.  He didn't seem too happy by that.  He explained that I am still healing and that any repetitive motion should be avoided.  The 5 pound rule is also still in effect.  This info bummed me out a bit because I was all excited about getting my life back... but at the same time, I don't want to rush anything, hurt myself, and fall behind.  I am doing so great!  Why won't Dr. Spiro let me be great?!  I'm sure he will...  so for now, I will continue to slowly do my physical therapy exercises a bit at a time to stretch myself out and just continue to be careful on all other fronts.

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment