Sunday, March 25, 2012

Taking a Break!

This upcoming week is the first week in quite awhile where I really don't have much going on in regards to my health.  I have an appointment on Tuesday with Dr. Spiro for my second and final expansion and that's it!  I am very excited to get that over and done with.  I also have a ton of questions for Dr. Spiro... some which include - when can I go back to work?  When can I run again?  When can I get these damn expanders out?!

I know the answer to that one... it's in three months.  Hopefully that three months began at my surgery date and not at my last expansion date because that would make me super sad.  I can't wait to get these things out and I am hoping that the implants will be a lot different, which I am sure they will be.  I just find myself being overly cautious with these expanders in.  I am so afraid of bumping in to something or squishing them some how when I sleep.

Like I've said many times before they are rock hard and creep me out to touch.  But I am becoming more comfortable looking at them and overall they don't look so bad.  The scars across my breasts are slowly fading away and they look more like a paper cut than a crazy deep scar.  There is still some redness and scabbing but all of that will heal and go away. They are not bruised at all and look pretty normal.  They are a little lumpy, but I know that's the expanders doing their job so I can't complain.

The one thing I CAN complain about, and I WILL complain about, is the stupid pain on my right side.  It's so annoying!  And it's frustrating because I KNOW how it could feel if it just healed the same way as my left side.  I think my right side has always been a special little snowflake... I've had tendonitis in that arm... also with my mirrored back tattoos the right side hurt a lot more and bled a lot more than my left.  I guess there are just more nerves and what not happening on that side.  The good thing is that the pain doesn't ruin my day.  It's not that kind of pain, it's just a constant pain that's there.  I'm reminded of it all the time, but I can continue doing what I need to do.  Rita's not concerned about it; she said it will go away in time.  I just need to keep stretching.  And I do!  Constantly!

My next physical therapy appointment isn't until April 3rd... which is the same day as my oncologist appointment.  I want to impress Rita and let her know I've been working hard, so I plan on stretching all through this week.  I am much more agile with my arms and reaching over my head isn't too much of a problem (sometimes it is with my right, but no big deal).  It's amazing how far I've come since my little t-rex arms.  Physical therapy has been such an important part of my recovery and I am so happy that Dr. Blackwood recommended it.  If she hadn't I'd still probably be a hot mess!

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment