Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Out Damned Drains! Out I say!

So, I no longer feel like the villain Bane from the Batman series, with tubes of "venom" running in and out of me.  I officially had my drains removed today!

The past couple of days have been quite busy for someone who just got out of the hospital.  I've been busy taking medication.  Kevin's been busy measuring my drains day and night as we watch them drain smaller and smaller amounts of fluid, hoping that Dr. Spiro will indeed take them out on Tuesday.  Kevin has been meticulously bandaging the drainage sites and keeping them infection free.  Actually, I think Kevin has been the busiest one since the hospital!

On Monday, we went to a little mall with a Barnes and Noble to walk around during the afternoon.  "All" that walking certainly tuckered me out, but it was so nice to get out and walk around.  I called Dr. Spiro's office with my drainage report and he said I could indeed get them out on Tuesday.  I was so thrilled to hear that!  The drains and tubes were soooooo annoying.  I had been sleeping sitting up most of the time.  I had to be careful that no one bumped in to me.  It was just obnoxious.

Finally, Tuesday morning arrived!  I popped a Valium and some Tylenol in preparation.  I figured it would hurt a bit so I wanted to be prepared.  Kevin and I drove up to Dr. Spiro's office bright and early in the morning.  We met with him and he couldn't have been happier with the way things were progressing.  I swear I am already the size I was before the operation!  I can't believe that I woke up with breasts!  I did not expect that, and I think he didn't either.  But my body certainly was ready for it.  He told me the nurse will pull out the drains and I will come back in a week and he'll fill up my expanders a bit.

He left and I laid down for the nurse to take the drains out of my left side first.  (I had two tubes on each side).  I asked her if it would hurt.  She said I'd feel a tug.  A TUG SHE SAID!  It felt like a rope was being pulled out of my chest it hurt SO BAD.  The pain I felt has been the worst pain since the operation.  It was HORRIBLE.  I couldn't believe it.  The tube snaked around my breast area, so it wasn't just a little tug, it was like a magic trick where the magician just keeps pulling out his long tied together handkerchiefs from his hat.  EVIL I TELL YOU!!  EVIL!  And that had to be done four damn times!  I admit it, I cried.  It hurt hurt hurt.

But it's done!  They are out!  And I feel 100% better without those damn tubes and grenade drains hanging off of me.  I am more mobile and can pull up my own pants now.  SUCCESS!  I was also able to take a shower.  I had to wrap my chest in saran wrap, which was quite amusing, but at least I got a nice wash in.  I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked because I became quite paranoid that my bandages were getting wet even with the saran wrap so I tried to shower as quickly as possible.  But it got done.

Now I am just resting from that traumatic drain pulling experience.  My sister has the best rocking chair in my room and it puts me at such ease.  I'm just going to hang out here for awhile...  I'll talk to you all again soon.

- J.

1 comment:

  1. Yay best rocking chair! so glad the evil drains are out!

    -chris

    ReplyDelete