Monday, February 6, 2012

Cancer Tip of the Week

Sometimes it's just a BAD idea to read breast cancer support communities.

I believe Internet communities are extremely important.  People need a place to bitch and moan (I have a blog for that!).  Sometimes we just need a place to go to for anonymous support.  There is nothing wrong with that.  But it's hard to read a post by a woman whose cancer has returned after many years.  It's hard to read a post by a woman who is going through radiation and different kinds of chemo and how horrible it is on her body.  It's hard to read a post by a woman whose family is having a tough time with her diagnosis and recovery.

I certainly understand that it is comforting to know there are many other people out there that are going through the same thing and can relate to you.  It's important to discuss things and find support with others who have gone / are going through the same thing as you.

Sometimes, when I dig too deep into those forums it just makes me sad.  But then I read all of the supportive words in the replies section and it gives me hope that there are so many wonderful women out there who are so strong, so many women laughing in the face of breast cancer.  I've personally seen people conquer cancer, I have an amazing support group of family and friends all around me, and when I think about all of this... then I don't feel so sad any more.

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment