Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Western vs. Eastern Medicine

While perusing breast cancer communities and message boards there seems to be quite a distinctive split between the use of western vs. eastern medicine to treat the illness.  In one single post you will read about a woman who had a double mastectomy, radiation, chemo, and had to take tamoxifen, while another woman followed the Bill Henderson Protocol instead of doing any sort of surgery, chemo, or radiation.  The Bill Henderson Protocol is a strict diet that claims to kill cancer cells by changing the inner terrain of a person.  One woman claimed she was even cured of cancer because of this diet.

Now, I am certainly not knocking either treatment.  I believe a person should do what they think is best for her or him.  But to me, the best way to combat cancer would be a perfect balance between western and eastern medicine.  I think sometimes your body just can't fight off the bad, and therefore it needs a little help from doctors and surgeons.  I also believe that you shouldn't abuse your body.  You need to take care of it, inside and out, so it's important to treat it right.

In August 2011 I tried to become more aware of what I was eating and how it could effect my insides.  I also started to run and I think that has helped my overall health and happiness as well.  I never wanted to be THAT person... the person who obsesses over running... the person who runs on a treadmill, not going anywhere... the person who is running whilst not being chased... but I AM!  And I feel better because of it.  But, at the same time, I do not believe my body will just begin to fix itself on its own with just the help of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese.  It needs a little extra help!

So that's what I am doing.  I am giving my body a little extra help with the double mastectomy.  I'm not giving cancer a chance to grow back.  I will also continue to exercise and watch what I eat.  I know that if I treat my body well, it will do the same to me.

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment