Sunday, January 29, 2012

Plastic Surgeon Take 1

So I had my first plastic surgeon appointment the other day and it went exactly how I expected.  And the doctor was just how I expected a plastic surgeon would be - a little cocky, super confident, and very business-like.  But with all that being said, he was very nice and explained things really well to me.  So well in fact, that it made me feel better about everything that is about to happen.

He explained the 3 different types of reconstructive surgeries out there.  The first one would take fat from my abdomen and relocate it to my breasts.  The second one would take muscle from my back and relocate it to my breast.  And then there is the expanders + implant route.

Reconstruction Type 1 - Apparently I am not a candidate for the abdomen fat relocation, and I take that as a damn compliment!  In the examining room, the doctor grabbed my abdomen saying, "You could MAYBE get one breast out of that."  Thank you doc, I am flattered.

Reconstruction Type 2 - I am a candidate for this reconstructive surgery but the recovery time is much longer.  I'd wake up with breasts and be about 90% done with the reconstructive part, but I'd be out of commission much longer.  And I'd have scars at the donor sites on my back (not that I couldn't cover those scars up with more back tats...)  The doctor pinched the muscle on my back saying it would be perfect, but that just freaks me out a bit.  He pinched so hard that it almost felt like the Vulcan Death Grip via my back.

Reconstruction Type 3 - This is what I was expecting to do in the first place and this is what I am definitely going with.  The doctor displayed both the expander and implant to me.  The expander was super hard and that kind of surprised me... but it makes sense since it needs to work hard to expand the skin and what not.  The implant felt good to me.  I know my breasts will never feel the same again, but that implant wasn't too bad.  I approve.  I was surprised at first that every 17 years I'd have to get new implants, but that makes sense.  I just never had thought of it.

I am happy with how the consultation went.  I feel like the doctor spent a nice amount of time with me explaining all my options and making me feel comfortable with everything that is going to happen.  Tomorrow I have another consultation with a different plastic surgeon, so that will be good to compare the two and see which one I like the best and who makes me feel the most comfortable.  After that I am meeting with my breast surgeon and I should have a better idea of when my surgery will be and a better understanding of what will happen during the mastectomy part of the surgery.  

As per usual, I will keep you all updated.  Until then!

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment