Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Do you have a Family History of Cancer?

I've answered this a million times on doctor's questionnaires.  Yes.  Yes I do have a family history of cancer... specifically breast cancer.  My aunt was diagnosed in 1989 at the age of 36.  2 years later my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer as well.  My grandma always tells the story about how my aunt and mom did things in 2.  My mom and aunt were twins and when one would get a tooth, 2 days later the other one would get their tooth.  So when my aunt was diagnosed, it was only a matter of time that my mom would be diagnosed as well.

My mom and aunt put up quite a fight.  My aunt had a bone marrow transplant, while my mom was able to capitalize on "new" research and received a stem cell transplant.  That short 2 year gap, and the newly found research in breast cancer treatment gave my mom extra time.  My aunt passed away in 1996 when I was in eighth grade.  My mom was able to fight for 7 more years until she passed away in 2003 when I was a junior in college.

So, as one can imagine, my view of breast cancer is an extremely negative one.  I always knew that my chances of getting breast cancer were pretty high.  I never wanted to get the genetic test because I didn't want to live in fear (or add more fear to the fear I already had).  I knew one day the word "cancer" would be directed towards me, but I did not expect it to happen at the age of 29.  Sure, we are not invincible at any age, but come on!  Give me a damn break!

Now I am the next generation on my mom's side of the family with breast cancer.  Here I am, just carrying out the legacy.  But this time it's been caught early.  This time I have the knowledge and can take precautions to make sure it doesn't come back.  I've always wanted to kick cancer's ass for taking my mom and aunt away from me way too early... and now, I can do it.

- J.

2 comments: