Monday, January 30, 2012

I've got a Date!

February 29th!  I couldn't think of a better date to have my surgery than February 29th.  A day that only happens once every four years.  I'll only be reminded of my surgery every 4 years, otherwise it'll be like it never happened.  I like that!

Today I met with a second plastic surgeon.  He was very nice and seemed just as competent as the first one I met on Thursday, but I decided to go with the first plastic surgeon.  It was a hard decision to make as I knew both of them could do the job equally well, but I guess that is a good problem to have... which super competent surgeon should I have work on me?!  Oh the trouble and turmoil of being me!

After my morning appointment with the plastic surgeon, I had another meeting with my breast surgeon.  She explained that I will have a skin sparing mastectomy.  Unfortunately, I won't have the nipple sparing part of it since my cancer is located right behind my left nipple.  And to be honest, I say just take everything and anything that can grow any bad, cancerous cells away.  I will still have a small amount of breast tissue that my doctor and I will have to monitor, but she explained that since the pectoral muscle will now be pushed up against the breast tissue it will be easier to feel any bad lumps that may form.  Another bright side... I only had to have my breasts squished to death once in my life for a mammogram.  I'll never have one ever again!

My recovery time will be anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks.  I can't drive for 2 - 3, so everyone needs to come visit me.  I demand it.  I don't know where I will be recovering just yet, but I plan on laying in a comfy bed for days, watching tv, perusing the Interwebz, and taking lots and lots of pain killers. 

Jealous?  You should be.

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment