Tuesday, July 24, 2012

There are Wounds that are not Meant to Heal

This Friday (July 27th) I have a morning appointment with Dr. Blackwood, my breast surgeon. I haven't seen her since the week after my double mastectomy and I am pretty excited to catch up with her. I need to show off my new rack! I am not sure what the appointment is all about - perhaps she will teach me what I am suppose to be looking for now in case any remnants of breast cancer tries to rear it's ugly head. It is always a possibility and I need to know what to look for. I will also have a yearly exam with her so I'll have back up since I can't rely on mammograms any more.

It's still difficult getting used to my new breasts. They feel awkward, and even heavy at times. Sometimes I catch myself hunched over when I should be sitting up straight. I started lifting and moving things around at work and that is an odd sensation in my chest at times when my pec muscle flexes and then relaxes. I assume I will get used to that in time. And when I get a chill?! That's the worst because my muscle will twitch from the cold. Now, THAT feels weird.  The skin on my left breast still ripples a bit and it annoys me on a daily basis. Hopefully that will go away or can be solved.

My scars are looking great! The lymph node scar is adorable, and my drain scars are fading each day. The long scars across my breast seem to be fading too. I mean, not fast at all, but I think they are getting better. They don't really bother me that much, like I've said before, they are some pretty cool battle wounds. I've been using Mederma Advanced Scar Gel every morning on all my scars. It seems to be doing a great job!

Next post, Dr. Blackwood update!

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment