Friday, July 6, 2012

Balls to the Wall

Yes, that's right. That blog post title means it's been exactly six months since my breast cancer diagnosis. Six months! And the second I found out I went balls to the wall to make sure this will be my first and LAST cancer diagnosis. I don't ever want to feel the way I felt six months ago.

It was just six months ago when I heard those dreaded words, "the biopsy came back positive for cancer," and I just broke down and cried. It was six months ago that I had to call my family and friends to tell them. It was six months ago when I took the genetic test. It was six months ago when I had one of the worst panic attacks of my life.

It was also six months ago when I knew I had to take back my life. The official diagnosis may have come six months ago, but it's something I've been preparing for for years. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 29 years old, now I am 30, cancer free and with a new set of boobs. That's just how I roll.

I am so happy where my life is right now, and I am so relieved that everything has worked out. I know I still have doctor appointments and I still need to keep on top of my health, but breast cancer is no longer looming over my shoulder (or hiding behind my nipple like the creep that it was).

I just want to say to anyone out there who may have just found out that she or he has cancer... Stay strong! Fight back! Don't give up! Don't hang your head! It may seem like you have a tough road ahead of you (and you do, don't get me wrong), but you'll make it through. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. It may look like the teeniest tiniest dot in the distance, but before you know it you'll be running through that tunnel to find yourself basking in the glory of the light you fought so hard to get to. I believe in every single one of you!

- J.

No comments:

Post a Comment